The name is a play on the Rhodes Scholarship, and is formed from Cody's last name and Damien Sandow's claim to be a teacher of the masses (like an educated scholar).
They announced their name in response to the formation of Team Hell No, so the addition of 'Team' as a prefix to their title is based on that. WWE.com has abbreviated this to The Rhodes Scholars in an article.
Rhodes and Sandow first teamed together during the August 27 edition of WWE Raw when they faced the team of Sin Cara and Brodus Clay, ultimately. On September 21, 2012, Rhodes and Sandow officially formed a tag team during an edition of WWE SmackDown to face the WWE Tag Team Champions, Daniel Bryan and Kane, at the request of anger management therapist Dr. Shelby after his patients' loss to Rhodes and Sandow in singles matches due to the other's interference. The match was later thrown out due to disqualification after Rhodes struck Kane with a chair. During the next Raw taping, Rhodes and Sandow attacked Kane and Bryan after they were given their tag team name, "Hell No", that was decided by the WWE Universe. Rhodes announced that he and Sandow are now Team Rhodes Scholars.
- Cody Rhodes' finishing moves
- Cross Rhodes (Jumping Rolling cutter)
- Damien Sandow's finishing moves
- Terminus (Straight jacket neckbreaker)
- "The (Self-Professed) Intellectual Savior of the (Unwashed) Masses" - Sandow
- Entrance themes
- "Smoke & Mirrors (V2)" by Jim Johnston/Emphatic
- "Hallelujah Chorus" from Messiah Part II by George Frideric Handel - Sandow
Championships and accomplishments