The 2022 NXT Vengeance Day was the tenth Vengeance event and a special episode of WWE's weekly television series NXT, broadcast on Syfy. The event took place on February 15, 2022, at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida for their NXT brand division.
In February 2021, WWE revived Vengeance as an NXT TakeOver event called Vengeance Day; the name was a reference to its Valentine's Day scheduling. That September, however, the TakeOver series was discontinued. With the scheduling of this 2022 event, Vengeance Day became its own event as well as NXT's annual Valentine's event. Unlike all previous Vengeance events, which aired on pay-per-view as well as the WWE Network in 2021, this will be the first Vengeance to air as a television special.
WWE Vengeance had been produced annually from 2001 to 2007 with a one-off show in 2011. In 2021, WWE resurrected Vengeance as an NXT TakeOver event. On the January 25, 2022 episode of NXT, it was announced that NXT Vengeance Day, the tenth edition of Vengeance, would be held on February 15, 2022, at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida.
The show included matches that resulted from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portrayed heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters to build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results are predetermined by WWE's writers on the NXT brand, while storylines are produced on their weekly television program, NXT.
On December 5, 2021, at NXT WarGames, Tony D'Angelo took out Pete Dunne with a crowbar and took his mouth guard during the Men's WarGames match. Dunne took it back from D'Angelo on the December 14 episode of NXT 2.0 and defeated him in the main event the following week. After the match, D'Angelo attacked Dunne's hand with a crowbar, causing him to writhe in pain. On the January 11, 2022 episode of NXT 2.0, D'Angelo defeated Dunne in a Crowbar on a Pole match. The following week, D'Angelo conducted a memorial service for Dunne's career and set his sights on Carmelo Hayes' NXT North American Championship. On the January 25 episode of NXT 2.0, D'Angelo fought Cameron Grimes in a number one contender's match for a shot at the title, but lost after Dunne appeared and hit his hand with a cricket bat. The following weeks saw Dunne challenge D'Angelo to a steel cage match, but then upped the stipulation after avoiding his crowbar attacks during a match with Draco Anthony, throwing in chairs, crowbars, kendo sticks and a toolbox in the ring to make it a weaponized steel cage match at NXT Vengeance Day.
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Pete Dunne defeated Tony D'Angelo in a Weaponized Steel Cage match (9:52)
- Toxic Attraction (Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jayne) (c) defeated Indi Hartwell & Persia Pirotta to retain the NXT Women's Tag Team Championship (7:54)
- Carmelo Hayes (c) defeated Cameron Grimes to retain the NXT North American Championship (15:57)
- The Creed Brothers (Julius Creed & Brutus Creed) (w/ Malcolm Bivens) defeated MSK (Wes Lee & Nash Carter) in the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Final Match (9:36)
- Bron Breakker (c) defeated Santos Escobar (w/ Elektra Lopez, Joaquin Wilde & Raul Mendoza) to retain the NXT Championship (12:05)
Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic bracket
Other on-screen talent
- NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day 2022 at WWE.com
- NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day 2022 at CAGEMATCH.net
- NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day2022 on WWE Network