Charlotte is the largest city in the U.S. state of North Carolina and the seat of Mecklenburg County. In 2010, Charlotte's population according to the US Census Bureau was 731,424, making it the 17th largest city in the United States based on population. The Charlotte metropolitan area had a 2009 population of 1,745,524. The Charlotte metropolitan area is part of a wider thirteen-county labor market region or combined statistical area with a 2009 estimated population of 2,389,763. Residents of Charlotte are referred to as "Charlotteans".
Charlotte has become a major U.S. financial center, and is now the second largest banking center in the United States after New York City. The nation's largest financial institution by assets, Bank of America, calls the city home. The city was also the former corporate home of Wachovia until its purchase by Wells Fargo in 2008; Charlotte will soon become the headquarters for East Coast Operations of Wells Fargo. Charlotte is also home of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League, the Charlotte Bobcats of the National Basketball Association, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and the U.S. National Whitewater Center.
Nicknamed the Queen City, Charlotte and its resident county are named in honor of Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who had become queen consort of British King George III the year before the city's founding. A second nickname derives from the American Revolutionary War, when British commander General Cornwallis occupied the city but was driven out by hostile residents, prompting him to write that Charlotte was "a hornet's nest of rebellion," leading to the nickname The Hornet's Nest.
Charlotte has a humid subtropical climate and is situated halfway between the Appalachian Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean, between Washington, D.C. and Atlanta. Charlotte is located several miles east of the Catawba River and southeast of Lake Norman, the largest man-made lake in North Carolina. Lake Wylie and Mountain Island Lake are two smaller man-made lakes located near the city.
- American Legion Memorial Stadium
- Bojangles' Coliseum
- Charlotte Bobcats Arena
- Charlotte Coliseum
- Grady Cole Center
- Independence Arena
- Metrolina Expo Center
- Time Warner Cable Arena
- WWF House Show - January 8, 1989.
- NWA-WCW House Show - February 11, 1989.
- NWA-WCW House Show - April 9, 1989.
- NWA-WCW The Great American Bash Tour 1989 Night 10 - July 1, 1989.
- NWA-WCW House Show - August 19, 1989.
- NWA-WCW House Show - December 25, 1989.
- Judgment Day 2003 - May 18, 2003.
- PWX Queen City Rising - March 14, 2014
- Bound for Glory XI - October 4, 2015
- PWX Rise of A Champion XI - March 13, 2016
- RAW - November 28, 2016
- Main Event - November 29, 2016
- Smackdown - November 14, 2017
- 205 Live - November 14, 2017.
- RAW - October 29, 2018.
- Main Event - October 31, 2018.
- Smackdown - February 26, 2019.
- 205 Live - February 26, 2019.
- Clash of Champions - September 15, 2019.
- Al Massey
- Arrick Andrews
- Boris Dragoff
- Brad Anderson
- Brad Maddox
- Charles Robinson
- Charlotte Flair
- Colt Steele
- Firebreaker Chip
- George Becker
- George South
- GQ Smooth
- Guillotine Legrande
- Ian Shire
- Jim Crockett, Jr.
- Joe Cruz
- Reid Flair
- Ric Flair
- Richie Steamboat
- Rick McGraw
- Ricky Steamboat
- Rik Ratchet
- Rockin' Robin
- Scoot Andrews
- Scott Vick
- Strawberry Fields
- Tessa Blanchard
- Zack Salvation
- Charlotte, North Carolina on Wikipedia