Backlash is a professional wrestling pay-per-view event, that was produced every April (with the exception of 2005 and 2016, 2017 and 2020) by WWE, a professional wrestling promotion based in Connecticut. The event was created in 1999, with its inaugural event produced as an In Your House event in April of that year. The event in 2000 was rebranded as an annual PPV event for WWE. To coincide with the brand extension, the event was made exclusive to the Raw brand in 2004. In 2007, to follow the format of WrestleMania, all PPV events became tri-branded. Extreme Rules replaced Backlash in 2010. Backlash was announced as returning as a SmackDown exclusive event in 2016.
Backlash dates and venues
- Triple H holds the record for most Backlash appearances with 10 containing a record of 4-6.
- Of those ten Backlash events, Triple H has had eight title matches and only won two.
- (2000 loss to The Rock of the WWF World Heavyweight Championship
- (2001 win over Brothers of Destruction, as a result Stone Cold and Triple H won the WWE Tag Team Championship Triple H's Intercontinental title and Steve Austin's WWF World Heavyweight Championship were both on the line
- (2002 loss to Hulk Hogan lost the Undisputed championship
- (2004 loss to Chris Benoit and Shawn Michaels) Benoit defended the title he won at WrestleMania
- (2005 loss to Batista) Defended the title he won at WrestleMania
- (2006 loss to John Cena and Edge) Cena defended the title he won at WrestleMania
- (2008 win over Randy Orton and John Bradshaw Layfield and Cena) Triple H won the title that Orton had held for over five months
- (2009 loss to Randy Orton and Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes) The winner would be which ever of the six superstars would get the pin.
- In four Backlash events, Edge has won a title once out of four times, three of which involved Cena as the title holder heading into the match
- In 2009, Edge won against John Cena
- Speaking of Cena he has been in only five of the eleven Backlash events but all five matches have been for either the WWE title or World Heavyweight Title.
- Meanwhile, The Big Show has been in six matches at Backlash and has never received a title shot
- Kane has one of the better records in Backlash history boasting a 4-2 record beating the likes of CM Punk, Chavo Guerrero, Jr., Viscera, and defeating Dudley Boyz for the Tag titles
- MVP has been in only two Backlash matches both for the WWE United States Championship and lost both of them
- The Dudley Boyz have lost all three of their matches at Backlash
- Vince McMahon is 2-0 with an ECW Championship victory at Backlash and his son Shane is 2-1
- Hulk Hogan,Brock Lesnar, A-Train, Billy Gunn, Gregory Helms (who has two tag title defenses with Rosey) are 2-0 at Backlash
|1999 • 2000 • 2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2020|