The August 14, 2020 Edition of Smackdown Live was a Professional wrestling television show of the WWE's Smackdown brand which took place on August 13, 2020 at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida.
It was a chaotic and heated start to the Women’s Triple Brand Battle Royal, as a collection of the best across Raw, NXT and SmackDown for the opportunity to face Bayley at SummerSlam for the SmackDown Women’s Championship. Bianca Belair was the early standout, as her elimination of Tamina showed her ability to stand up to any challenge. Belair seemed like she might be headed for a breakthrough opportunity at SummerSlam, but Tegan Nox cunningly pulled down the ropes as The EST charged at her.
Bayley attempted to tip the scales in a more favorable direction for herself, as she tried to yank Asuka off the apron. The Empress of Tomorrow responded with a sliding knee to both of "The Golden Role Models" and used the backs of her two rivals as a safety net after Baszler tried to push her from the ring. As one of the last two competitors remaining, Shayna Baszler tried to lock Asuka in the Kirifuda Clutch on the apron, but Asuka used her leverage to pull The Queen of Spades over the ropes and earn herself a second title opportunity at SummerSlam.
Shorty G found himself back in Sheamus’ bad graces last week after inserting himself into The Celtic Warrior’s showdown with Matt Riddle. Shorty G tried his best to cut down his towering competitor, but Sheamus’ strength proved too much for the challenger. The Celtic Warrior set himself up for another crushing Brogue Kick to Shorty G.
After Cesaro dispatched of Lince Dorado, the other two members of their respective tandems went toe-to-toe as Gran Metalik and Shinsuke Nakamura battled on the blue brand. Lucha House Party angered the SmackDown Tag Team Champions by placing their hands on their titles backstage. Nakamura built on that anger early with repeated attacks on his opponent. As The King of Strong Style seemed to be building toward a win, Kalisto made a stunning return and went straight at Cesaro to provide a distraction. Gran Metalik walked the ropes and delivered a devastating elbow to secure the win. Fire up the music because Lucha House Party is back and bumping.
After RETRIBUTION derailed the start to their match earlier in the night, Big E and John Morrison once again met with blue brand Superstars flanking the ringside area hoping to prevent another disturbance. The New Day member looked to keep his singles run rolling with a win over another member of the self-proclaimed “Greatest Tag Team of the 21st Century,” and he took it to The Guru of Greatness early with a thunderous splash on the apron.
As the battle raged, the lights began to flicker, and another RETRIBUTION attack seemed imminent. A new incident sparked up backstage, however, as the perplexing faction attacked officials and destroyed the backstage area. SmackDown Superstars charged toward the group as they escaped, and Big E dug deep to regain control of the action in the ring. After finishing off The Miz with the same maneuver, Big E locked in the stretch muffler submission and forced Morrison to tap out.
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Asuka won a Women's Battle Royal to become the #1 Contender for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship at SummerSlam (9:00)
- Ruby Riott is eliminated
- Tegan Nox & Liv Morgan eliminated Billie Kay & Peyton Royce
- Billie Kay & Peyton Royce eliminated Liv Morgan
- Tamina eliminated Nikki Cross
- Bianca Belair eliminated Tamina
- Lacey Evans eliminated Naomi
- Shotzi Blackheart eliminated Lacey Evans
- Lacey Evans eliminated Shotzi Blackheart
- Tegan Nox eliminated Bianca Belair
- Dana Brooke eliminated Tegan Nox
- Dana Brooke is eliminated
- Asuka eliminated Shayna Baszler
- Sheamus defeated Shorty G (4:00)
- Gran Metalik (w/ Lince Dorado) defeated Shinsuke Nakamura (w/ Cesaro) (3:57)
- Big E defeated John Morrison (12:00)
Other on-screen talent
- WWE Smackdown Live #1095 at CAGEMATCH.net
- WWE Smackdown Live #1095 at WWE.com
- Smackdown #1095 on WWE Network