The April 7, 2005 Edition of Smackdown is a Professional wrestling television show of the WWE's Smackdown brand, which took take place on April 5, 2005 at the San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, California.
Incensed by the loss of his championship to John Cena, John Bradshaw Layfield goes to the ring first and gave a speech over his usual booers. While demanding his Championship back, Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Big Show, Rey Mysterio and Kurt Angle interrupted, each aiming for John Cena's WWE Championship. Just then, Teddy Long came out to settle the argument, pointing out that JBL's contract did not have a rematch clause. To give any of the participants a shot at Cena's title, they are put in a six-man tournament for the Number 1 Contender to the WWE Championship, starting with Rey Mysterio vs. John Bradshaw Layfield that night.
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Paul London (c) defeated Billy Kidman to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Championship (6:14)
- The Big Show defeated Luther Reigns (2:13)
- Kurt Angle defeated Jose Macias in a Kurt Angle Invitational Challenge Match
- John Bradshaw Layfield (w/ Orlando Jordan) defeated Rey Mysterio by DQ in a WWE Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership Tournament First Round Match (15:20)